The EoM gets a wiki makeover

The Encyclopedia of Mormonism, first published in 1992, was made available on-line last year, in the form of searchable PDF files. Now it has now be published using MediaWiki the software developed by the makers of Wikipedia. Unlike most wikis, the content is not editable, but it is now fully word searchable, meaning phase II of the project announced in the Church News has been completed.

If asked, my family will tell you that I loved reading dictionaries and encyclopedias in my youth. I still do know - I don't think many days pass without me checking something on Wikipedia (despite it's flaws). I ordered a copy of the encyclopedia when it was first published and eagerly read it from cover to cover. Now I intend to use the new site to rediscover the well written articles anew. I am also interested in seeing the outcome of phase III, when the articles and references will be updated and supplied with links to on-line resources .

No comments: